The ancient Greeks related the sun to Apollo and to the eye of Zeus. Pythagoras established the scientific theories of sound, which they used alongside color.
Hippocrates explained illness in four basic humours
The effects of color on our mood, health and even way of thinking have been studied for years. Even an individual’s preference for one color over another may be related to the way color makes that person feel
Color is light- visible radiant energy- of certain wavelengths
Photoreceptors in the retina called cones, translate this energy into colors
Three types of cones
Other colors are perceived by combining these
According to the director of The American Institute of Biosocial Research, Tacoma Wash. Dr.Alexander Schauss, light enters our bodies and stimulates the pituitary and pineal glands. This will effect production of hormones changing the physiological processes, Some colors such as a sunny day will stimulate the system while others like a dark cloudy day can feel depressive. K Martinek and I.V. Berzin “Artificial Light-Sensitive Enzymatic Systems as Chemical Amplifiers of Weak Light Signals” Photochemistry and Photobiology Mar 1979 637-650, Liberman J O.D. “Light- Medicine of the Future” Bear &Co 1991
color -thought to have a direct influence on our thoughts moods and behavior-
Blind people also effected because they are able to sense the energy vibrations within the body
This is not a new concept! color therapy has been around for over 5,000 years the -Ancient Chinese concept
The colors you select have a profound effect on you can reduce disease stress. Give you more energy and help alleviate pain and other
Closely related on color wheel and are used together to create a feeling of harmony
Yellows, Oranges and Red-oranges, Blues and violets
Opposite sides of the color wheel. These colors offer the greatest contrasts, so their effects are bold and dramatic
Violet and yellow
Blue and Orange
Red and Green
Each color has its own wavelength and frequency, the rate at which its wave vibrates. Practitioners of color therapy believe that cells and organs of the body also have vibrational frequencies; they use colors to correct vibrational imbalances in the body and create a state of harmony. When the energy of color enters our bodies, it stimulates the production of certain hormones, which in turn affect a variety of physiological processes. This explains why color has been found to have such a direct influence on our thoughts, moods, and behavior – an influence that many experts believe is distinctly separate from psychological and cultural factors oE.Keister “Living Without Light” Science Illustrated 2 no7 Mar April 1989 26-32
The pioneer of modern color therapy was Niels Finsen of Denmark. Following the discovery, in 1877, of the bactericidal action of solar ultra-violet energy, Finsen studied the possibility of assisting the healing of wounds with visible light. He subsequently used red light to inhibit the formation of smallpox scars and, in 1896, founded a Light Institute ( now the Finsen Institute of Copenhagen) for the photo treatment of tuberculosis. In 1932, Gerrard and Hessay, two Californian psychologists, scientifically established that:
blue light has a calming effect
red light has a stimulating power on human beings.
Blue and red colors are considered at the two extremes with yellow representing the midpoint. These are also the three principal colors. In a rainbow every substance on earth contains color. Even the rays cast on earth by celestial bodies contain color in the form of white light. The rays of the sun contain seven different colors – violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange and red. These are natural colors, which are highly beneficial to the maintenance of health and for healing diseases.
Until the advent of antibiotics in the late 1930′s, the use of sunbathing and ultraviolet light were internationally accepted and commonly used medical treatments Color Therapy was practiced internationally as well. But this soon changed as the pharmaceutical industry took control over health issues.
Even though sunlight has gone put of style studies show children in rooms with full spectrum lighting developed one third less decay then children with standard cool white lighting and have less behavioral problems
- I.M. Sharon et,al. “The Effects of Light of Different Spectra on Caries Incidence in the Golden Hamster” Archives of Oral Biology 16, 1971 p1427-1431
- E.C.McBeath et al “The Role of Vitamin D in the Control of Dental caries in Children” Jour of Nut 15 1938 p547
- B.R. East “”Means Hours of Sunlight and Incidence of Dental Caries” American Jour of Public Health15 1939 p777
- J.N. Ott “Color and Light: Their Effects on Plants Animals and People” Jour Biosocial Research 7 part 1 1985
Healing effects are based on the fact that:
- Both Natural and pathological oscillations can be picked up from skin (antenna effect) and led to a suitably tuned therapeutic device
- The oscillations from the patient can be modulated in three ways
- The Healthy signals are amplified and the pathological signals inverted and cancelled out.
- Filters can separate the desirable frequencies from the pathological ones, which can be eliminated No artificial frequencies are needed, only oscillations from the patient which can be modified to strengthen the good oscillations and modify or eliminate the damaging frequencies
- The body takes its cue from the modulated signals and continues to produce enhanced physiological signals and can reprogram itself so the pathological signals are guarded against. Electromagnetic energy therapy thus can be seen as acting much like the cellular memory of the immune system, going beyond the actual therapy session
QUICK FIX COLOR THERAPY SESSION
This color experience provides the opportunity to discover for yourself, the impact colors can have on your well-being. The need for a particular color’s vibration seems to differ from day to day or even from hour to hour. When you absorb a color vibration it travels, via the nervous system, to the part of the body that needs it. Each body has its own optimum state of well-being and is constantly seeking ways to maintain or restore a balanced state. Utilizing color, is one way you can help yourself to harmony! You will find yourself drawn to one color more than others. The energy vibration of that color is what you need, at this moment, in order improve and balance your emotional state.. and allow yourself to relax. Gaze at the color for as long as you feel comfortable, blinking as you need to.. Drink in the color through your eyes until you feel satiated. This may take several minutes. oOnce satisfied you have absorbed enough of the color’s vibrations,. If another color appeals to you, repeat the process.
Many color therapists are influenced by the Vedic theory of the body’s chakras, which are vortexes of “life energy” into which light is believed to stream. H Wohlfarth “Psycological Evualation of Experiments to Assert The Effects of Color-Stimuli Upon the Autonomous Nervous System” Exerpta Media, Neurology and Psychiatry 2 n0 4 1958 chakras- are the body’s energy centers, and are particular parts of the body associated and stimulated by, certain emotions and specific colors. various tests are used to ascertain which colors are missing and which ones are required to keep the chakras working in harmony ACCESSING YOUR NEEDS-In order to balance your energy points with color you first must access if your energy center points are balanced or unbalanced. Based on the Physical/Mental/Emotional attitudes causing the unbalance, you can access the most prominent color needed. This is why Holistic Healing seeks the metaphysical cause behind the physical problem.
An underactive chakra is usually one in which the energy does not flow freely through the physical system. If congested ,blocked, underactive, we lack the energy to perform our daily functions. color can help to stimulate the chakra into a balanced state.
An overactive chakra is one in which overstimulation occurs. There is too much energy being drawn in and out of the center, aggravating a specific condition. An application of the complementary or opposite color is used.oThe general rule for the chakra: If the chakra is underactive, an application of its basic color is used. If the chakra is overactive, then the application of the complementary or opposite color is used.
Related to the person’s chakras is a person’s aura, a “subtle” (nonphysical) body consisting of multicolored layers that surround an individual. Although it is invisible to most people, some practitioners and energy-sensitive individuals do claim to “see” a person’s aura. They will be “read” the colors of the aura to determine the client’s state of health, then visualize healing colors to counteract negative or dull colors in the aura. Changing the lighting or using the glasses can be very rewarding- Knowing your patient and what they respond to can actually make a dental visit somewhat pleasant
- Violet- calms highly-strung, excitable people
- Indigo- soothing effect on the eyes, ears and the nervous system
- Blue- peaceful and soothing Calming tired nerves, alleviating agony and pain
- Green- helps alleviate anxiousness, nervous disorders, tension
- Pink-soothing effect, relaxing muscles. tranquilizing effect on anxiety
- Yellow- feel nervous or tired.
- Orange- increase appetite, need joy and well-being, stomach disorders nervousness, skin problems allergies, vertical grooves in your nails
- Red- stimulating power
- The Principles of Light and Color, Edwin S. Babbitt, The Citadel Press, 1967.
- Specto-Chrome Metry Encyclopedia, Dinshah P. Ghadiali, Dinshah Health Society, 100 Dinshah Dr., Malaga, NJ 08328, 1992.
- Let There Be Light, Darius Dinshah, Dinshah Health Society, P.O. Box 707, Malaga NJ 08328, 1996.
- Healing Through Colour, Theo Gimbel, C. W. Daniel Company Limited, 1980.
- Healing With Color and Light, Theo Gimbel, A Fireside Book, Simon & Schulster, Inc., 1994.
- Form, Sound, Colour and Healing, Theo Gimbel, C. W. Daniel Company Limited, 1987.
- Color Therapy, Reuben Amber, Aurora Press, 1983.
- Color Medicine,Charles Klotsche, Light Technology Publishing.
- Light The Master Matrix: Samassati Color Therapy, Nishant Matthews, Samassati School of Holographic Healing, 280 Kachina Drive, Sedona, AZ 86336, 1996.
- The Rainbow Body, presented by Komala Lyra, Samassati School of Holographic Healing, 280 Kachina Drive, Sedona, AZ 86336, 1997.
- Practical Compendium of Colorpuncture, Peter Mandel, Energetik Verlag, 1986.
- Colour Energy, Inger Naess, Colour Energy Corporation 1996.
- AURA-SOMA: Healing Through Color, Plant, and Crystal Energy, Mike Booth, Hay House, Inc., 1996
- The Miracle of Colour Healing, Vicky Wall, The Aquarian Press, 1991.