The Basic Facts
The “silver” fillings sparkling in at least 100 million mouths include about 50 percent mercury (see chart), a toxic heavy metal. Over the last 10 years, researchers have shown that mercury escapes from fillings and winds up in body tissues, but not whether the amount of mercury in those residues is harmful.
For most of the 150 years that mercury has been in fillings, the dental establishment insisted that it posed no health threat because it could not escape from the amalgam. Nevertheless, some patients have long claimed that replacing their silver fillings with gold, porcelain or composite resins [...] cured them of colitis, food allergies, PMS or multiple sclerosis. [...] in 1979 researchers established that mercury does leach from filled teeth. In fact, fillings can be the largest single source of exposure to inorganic mercury.
- quoted from Lifestyle magazine, “Drilling for Danger”
Although the debate continues on the extent of harmful effects of mercury leaching from silver fillings, one cannot help but be concerned about having even trace amounts of a toxic heavy metal present in your body. We encourage you to do your own research and make your own decision on this topic, but if you have already decided that you would like to have your mercury fillings removed, please refer to Dr Zeines’ Mercury Filing Removal Protocol.